Consumer Electronics Show
Top Ten Industry Trends
from CES 2004
Each year there are several exciting industry trends that are apparent by walking the show, interviewing executives and talking to the other attendees. Here is a list of the Top Industry Trends for 2004:
- Wireless Home & Auto Electronics ...Everywhere
- Entertainment PC and the Home Theater Integrate with the Home PC
- Global Positioning Systems (GPS) for the Home and Office
- Tivo-like Functions are Integrated in CE Products
- HDTVs are replacing Traditional TVs
- PC Companies Chase Consumer Electronics
- Cell Phones & PDAs Have Everything You Want
- Webcams Explode
- VOIP Internet Phones
- IM for Office and Home
Look for your Home & Auto to be all Wireless. Home
Theater, Phones, PDAs, PCs and Appliances will connect
using wireless technology. Expect wireless TVs for Christmas...no
cable or satellite wires to install. Just hang your Flat-panel
HDTV on any wall, plug it in and you're done. Autos will
also use wireless connections for entertainment, communications
and security. WiFi-like technology will be standard in
all homes and autos of the future.
2. Look for "Entertainment PCs" to move into your Den and Living Room this year. PCs and Home Theater are rapidly merging. The equipment will share music, photos, videos, recorded TV shows and internet content.
3. Global Positioning Systems (GPS) have arrived for Autos, PDAs, Watches, Phones and Laptops. Use GPS maps for cars, boats, walking, hiking, vacations and traveling. Paper maps (and getting lost) will become obsolete.
4. Tivo-like functions will be integrated in most cable boxes, satellite boxes, DVD players and home PCs...The current stand-alone products will be phased out. You will also have portable Tivo devices to take your shows anywhere you go. See Trend #7 for more information.
5. High Definition TV (HDTV) has arrived and getting cheaper by the month. HDTVs and HDTV Shows will grow very quickly the next few years .Expect major price drops each year for HDTVs. Your next big TV should be at least HDTV ready.
Click here to see Top CES 2004 products
6. The number of Consumer Electronic Companies is growing. Computer Companies are chasing the Consumer Electronics market. Gateway was the first US company. HP, Dell, Intel and Microsoft are now following. This will continue to drive consumer prices very low over the next few years.
7. Everything is merging into either your future phone or PDA. Expect MP3 players, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, PVRs,TVs, Radios, PVPs, TV Remote Controls, Voice Recorders, Wireless Internet, WiFi and Bluetooth access in both types of products.
8. Webcams and web cameras will be everywhere in your home and office. The hardware prices have dropped, quality is up and Webcam Management Software has improved. It is very easy to add a Webcam to your Free Instant Messaging Software. Start putting on your makeup!
9. VOIP Phone Systems are here for the home and office. They can be used in homes, gyms, offices, airports and Starbucks. The service is significantly less expensive, advanced features are usually included in one monthly price and the quality is the same or better than your cell phones.
10. Instant Messaging (IM) will replace most email communications at home and in the office. IM and SMS will also be available on your mobile phones. Start learning IM if you do not use it yet. The writing is on the wall... another new skill will be needed in the office of the future.
Top of Page